The Atlantic is looking for a Python programmer to join its Platform Engineering team in our DC office to help build the future of journalism. The Atlantic has, for more than 160 years, advanced ideas that matter and sparked global conversation on the most important issues of our time. As the third-longest-running magazine in America, we find ourselves at a remarkable moment: one of both continuation and transformation, of upholding our legacy while continuously reinventing ourselves for the future.
As an Engineer on our Platform team you will…
- Write well-documented and maintainable Python code
- Maintain and improve Ollie, our custom content management system and web platform built on the Django web framework
- Find and fix security vulnerabilities
- Discover bottlenecks, optimize code or SQL queries to improve performance
- Work with our product team to implement and deploy new features to TheAtlantic.com and CityLab.com where they will be viewed by millions of people
As an Engineer you are…
- A talented programmer: You’ve written Python code in a professional setting and are knowledgeable about best practices including PEP8, unit testing, and documentation.
- Experienced with large projects: You have collaborated with technical and non-technical team members to evolve a large codebase before. You’ve broken up large projects into ordered, discrete tasks for a project plan.
- A strong communicator: You can distill complex technical ideas for a diverse set of stakeholders from developers, to editors and product managers. You can write clear and concise documentation.
- Adaptable: The idea of working on multiple projects of different sizes on different technology stacks excites you.
- A critical thinker: You don’t need to be told how to get from point A to point B and are up to the challenge of figuring how new features can elegantly fit into a modern web stack
Employees at The Atlantic are entitled to benefits including: 401(k) savings plan with employer match, health care with domestic partner coverage, flexible vacation policy, commuter benefits, and generous parental leave.
Atlantic Media Values:
Across Atlantic Media, generally, the firm looks for two “pillar gifts” in you, and everyone else. In all of us, these are more aspirational than actual, but they are central in our intentions –
- Force of Ideas: At the center of Atlantic Media work are the ideas within our writing. We believe that ideas – to the good and not – have consequence. Our highest work is bringing rigor, insight, intellectual integrity, to that ultimate purpose of separating the bad from the good, and giving voice to the latter.
- Spirit of Generosity: Atlantic Media seeks in its ranks those with natural disposition toward service and selfless conduct. Atlantic Media writing should be cut from the same cloth – critical on the merits, but informed by charity and forbearance in measuring motive and personal character.
Atlantic Media is an EOE of Minorities/Women/Vets/Disability.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.