National Journal is seeking a Junior Project Manager to join our digital product team and support the successful delivery of digital products including our website, CMS, mobile app, and rich data tools focused on government affairs. The role is closely involved in day-to-day planning, task management, and member support, and is responsible for ensuring a high level of quality in the team’s work.
Local Washington, DC area candidates only, please. This is not a remote or telework position.
Major Responsibilities Include:
- Oversee day-to-day implementation of digital products for National Journal, ranging from new product offerings to maintenance and enhancements
- Work closely with the digital team’s software developers, internal and outside designers, and stakeholders across the organization
- Be a first point of contact for day-to-day member support requests and provide guidance to colleagues and members about product capabilities
- Help define and document specific project requirements according to business needs from others in the organization
- Work with the development team to ensure scope and estimates are accurate and up-to-date
- Participate in daily check-ins with the development team to reinforce timelines and answer key project questions
- Proactively communicate project updates to supervisor and stakeholders
- Assist with hands-on testing of completed tasks and provide bug reports to the development team both during and after product launches
- Assist the team in maintaining good software development practices and workflows, including identifying and implementing optimizations, and keeping up-to-date documentation
- Stay up to date on digital trends and offer new ideas for improvements to our products and process
- Bachelor’s degree
- Organized, focused, and detail- and deadline-oriented
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to think analytically and solve problems creatively
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects at one time; cool under pressure
- Experience with software development methodologies (such as Agile) a plus
- Experience with project/task management software and tools a plus (such as Jira, Trello, and Gantt charts)
- General interest in government and elections
- Beneficial but not required:
- Experience in graphic design or user experience design
- Interest or experience in programming and technology
- PMP or similar certification
Atlantic Media Values:
Across Atlantic Media, generally, the firm looks for two “pillar gifts” in you, and everyone else. In all of us, these are more aspirational than actual, but they are central in our intentions.
- Force of Ideas: At the center of Atlantic Media work are the ideas within our writing. We believe that ideas – to the good and not – have consequence. Our highest work is bringing rigor, insight, intellectual honesty, to that ultimate purpose of separating the bad from the good, and giving voice to the latter.
- Spirit of Generosity: Atlantic Media seeks in its ranks a spirit of generosity – a natural disposition in each colleague toward service and selfless conduct. Atlantic Media writing should be cut from the same cloth –critical on the merits but informed by charity and forbearance in measuring motive and personal character.
Atlantic Media is an EOE of Minorities/Women/Vets/Disability.