Background on the Company & Role:
Ballast Research is dedicated to equipping federal and state advocates and policymakers in the public, private, and social sector with original data and insights to inform their work. Our clients are among the most well-known, expert, and engaged in matters of policy and law. We serve them closely with a growing scope of support services anchored in proprietary evidence and data.
We are recruiting candidates to join our rapidly growing firm as the Director of Consulting & Client Service. Each Director will cultivate and own a section of our work through the following activities:
- Client Service, Maintenance, and Growth. Typically serve 15-25 “brand name” clients with strategic advice, guidance, and primary research across an annual engagement. Identify opportunities to strengthen and expand relationships within our existing client base.
- Management of Extraordinary Talent. Manage a team of three to four associates, shepherding the highest and best use of their exceptional skills and talent.
- Product and Service Development. Identify opportunities to serve new markets with existing services, as well as serving existing markets with new services.
Directors will have primary responsibility for the following areas of our engagements:
- Strategic Consulting Ownership. Lead the analysis, development, and communication (written and in-person presentations) of research-based consulting engagements meant to inform the investments and strategy of major organizations operating in the federal and state policy arenas.
- Operational Planning. Structure engagement plans throughout an annual cycle of service to ensure consistent levels of service across the 15-20 client and the workflow of three to four individual associates.
- Editing & Thought Partner. Edit both quantitative benchmarking and interview note analysis to further analysis and recommendations, with an eye towards strategic consulting for clients.
- Client Retention. Strive to serve and retain clients at industry-leading levels. Find ways to advise and deliver to clients at a level that exceeds expectations and extends beyond commercial interests.
- Communicating to Clients. Serve as the primary interface for written analysis, operational scheduling, service touchpoints, and program-wide updates in a way to breaks through the clutter of consultants and information in DC and state advocacy.
- Organic Growth. Identify new ways to serve existing clients (a) through existing services; and (b) in ways that necessitate the development of new services and functionality.
- System-Wide Contribution. Play a supportive role across formalized and ad-hoc teams to enhance an internal culture of support, feedback, and creating new opportunities.
- Innovation. Consistently contribute new ideas, ways to serve client needs, process improvements, and program-wide initiatives that advance the entire program’s success; seeking out and taking ownership wherever possible.
Indicators of Success:
We have enjoyed success finding attorneys, consultants, practitioners from the government affairs space, and business school graduates with “extreme talent” interested in close client service, management, and account development.
- Dedication to client service. Above all, we serve clients wherever they need our support.
- Tolerance for ambiguity. As a dynamic and growing service firm, we are best when we can, through some trial and error, accept the ambiguity of client needs and channel those needs to specific services.
- Entrepreneurial drive. We are inspired by disruption, driven by innovation, and skeptical of the status quo. We are always seeking to improve and to grow; pitching in wherever necessary to support our clients and their needs.
- Deep intellectual curiosity. We are looking for the best ideas and the best minds to generate them.
Atlantic Media Values:
Across Atlantic Media, generally, the firm looks for two “pillar gifts” in you, and everyone else. In all of us, these are more aspirational than actual, but they are central in our intentions –
- Force of Ideas: At the center of Atlantic Media work are the ideas within our writing. We believe that ideas – to the good and not – have consequence. Our highest work is bringing rigor, insight, intellectual honesty, to that ultimate purpose of separating the bad from the good, and giving voice to the latter.
- Spirit of Generosity: Atlantic Media seeks in its ranks a spirit of generosity – a natural disposition in each colleague toward service and selfless conduct. Atlantic Media writing should be cut from the same cloth –critical on the merits but informed by charity and forbearance in measuring motive and personal character.
Chairman’s Statement on Diversity:
First published in 1857, the Atlantic Monthly, was founded, in part, to weigh in on the great debate of that century – to editorialize that all men are created equal and free. In our editorial work today, but also in our internal practice, we are to honor and build on that work. At The Atlantic, and throughout Atlantic Media.
Within Atlantic Media ranks, everyone – across race, gender, class, and faith – belongs. We expressly intend that our staff be as varied as the country and world we serve. And, for those who are here, our intention and plan is that everyone feels welcome, supported, lifted and advanced. We believe that our work, as well as our culture, are better for this commitment. – David G. Bradley
Atlantic Media is an EOE of Minorities/Women/Vets/Disability.