Project Manager, Policy & Politics Research
National Journal (NJ) seeks a Project Manager to oversee day-to-day management of our Policy & Politics Research slide production service, known as Presentation Center Concierge.
Who is National Journal?
We are part of Atlantic Media Company. National Journal provides insight and intelligence on how Washington works. We develop tools, publish slides and reporting, conduct research, and provide advisory services. Our diverse membership includes the world’s leading companies, nonprofits, associations, and policymakers.
About our team: The Presentation Center
Every week, we publish hundreds of PowerPoint slides on policy and politics. We distill complex policy information and election analysis into easy-to-edit slides and charts.
We also create custom content for our member organizations, delivering 40-60 custom deliverables per week.
About our future Project Manager, Policy & Politics Research
- You are a policy wonk with 2-4 years of experience who can also make all the trains run on-time.
- You have experience as a researcher or research assistant, distilling complex policy topics from a role in a think tank, research organization, Capitol Hill, agency, or university.
- You may be deep on one topic, but you are conversant and knowledgeable across several topic areas. You can talk about the Affordable Care Act one minute, and bills to change Dodd-Frank regulations the next.
- Your writing is clear, concise, and delightful to read.
- You have experience developing project plans and using project management tools.
- You work well with others, as demonstrated by your past 360 reviews.
- You are creative and entrepreneurial, with a willingness to blaze new trails.
- You are great when it comes to building relationships internally.
- You embrace a “roll-up-your-sleeves” startup mentality when it comes working towards goals.
- You can think strategically and tactically – with an ability to figure out a broader product strategy, while still diving into specific copy and project plans.
- You are intellectually curious, with a natural interest in learning how things work, and a willingness to persistently question (even challenge) why it works that way.
What you’ll be doing day-to-day
Each week, our team delivers 40-60 custom projects. At current growth, that might double. While our project manager doesn’t develop content, he/she serves as a hub between our members (clients), our internal revenue team, and our content team.
Our project manager:
- Communicates directly with our member organizations to scope each request (clarifying ambiguity, going back and forth on what is possible and what isn’t, and nailing down milestones)
- Develops a policy outline that fulfills the member’s requests
- Works with our Presentation Center team to make sure the request is executed flawlessly
- Works with our Revenue team to clarify content, resolve any issues that come with the request, and manage the request pipeline.
- Makes sure every content is delivered on-time to our members.
Beyond the day-to-day, we are looking for someone that can inspire others on the team. We currently have a team of 15 amazing content producers. You will identify ways for them to work more efficiently and effectively, and advocate for tools and process changes you believe will improve our overall service offering.
Please include with your application a cover letter and, if at all possible, samples of your policy or politics work.
Atlantic Media Values:
Across Atlantic Media, generally, the firm looks for two “pillar gifts” in its candidates. In all of us, these are more aspirational than actual, but they are central in our intentions.
- Force of Intellect - Atlantic Media seeks a discipline and rigor of thought as manifested, often, in exceptional academic performance and, later, success in a professional environment.
- Spirit of Generosity - Equally, Atlantic Media seeks what we term a spirit of generosity – a natural disposition towards service and selfless conduct.
Atlantic Media is an EOE of Minorities/Women/Vets/Disability.