We are looking for an Director of Branded Content to join the Quartz Creative* team.
We’re seeking someone who is: curious, creative, and skilled at managing and motivating creative teams. The ideal candidate has a heart for creative work and a mind for operations. They enjoy building scalable process, and should be someone who likes the challenge of distilling complex topics into engaging and useful content and is able to flex storytelling styles to create content from various brands’ perspectives.
The director manages a team of seven direct reports and serves as a liaison between the team and the rest of Quartz, particularly sales and clients. The director is also responsible setting and managing project budgets, as well as the scouting, contracting, and management of freelancers and partners.
This role is responsible for ensuring the overall quality of work from the team. Candidates should have a natural fascination around all things related to the new global economy, including technology, markets, and culture, and should have experience creating podcasts, videos, comics, infographics, or data visualizations.
- Sets standards of excellence and responsible for quality of output of entire team, including creativity, polish, and client value
- Attends creative reviews and works on highest priority projects
- Brings new ideas to team and works with creative strategy to respond to RFPs
- Intervenes with problematic projects, working with sales, clients, and team to fix them
- Serves as liaison between team and rest of Quartz—particularly sales and producers
- Works with management to establish processes and foster cross-team collaboration
- Identifies gaps in team skillsets/resources needed for complex programs and hires/identifies partners and staff accordingly
- Collaborates with design and creative technology teams to ensure smooth delivery of client work and dream up new ways to tell stories
- Oversees seven direct reports
- Creates path to growth for members of the team, identifying personal and project-based room for growth
- Oversees team resourcing, ensuring that we are well supported and deliver projects within budget
- Plans training and professional development for team members
- Manages all freelancer/partner contracting
- Creates SOWs for clients
- Manages all internal tracking systems
* Quartz Creative is the in-house creative shop at Quartz. We help brands make interesting and effective “things” for people, designed for the ways they live and experience media. We’re part of the Quartz family (qz.com, Daily Brief, Quartz App, Quartz AI, Quartz Bot Studio). We put the user at the center of our thinking, and our work.
Quartz recruits talent for two salient attributes or qualities:
- Force of Ideas: At the center of Quartz work are the ideas within our writing. We believe that ideas – to the good and not – have consequence. Our highest work is bringing rigor, insight, intellectual honesty, to that ultimate purpose of separating the bad from the good, and giving voice to the latter.
- Spirit of Generosity: Quartz seeks in its ranks a spirit of generosity – a natural disposition in each colleague toward service and selfless conduct. Quartz writing should be cut from the same cloth – critical on the merits but informed by charity and forbearance in measuring motive and personal character.
Quartz Media LLC is an EOE of Minorities/Women/Vets/Disability.