Atlantic 57 is the award-winning consulting and creative division of The Atlantic. We were founded to help nonprofits, corporations, and institutions learn from The Atlantic’s transformation from legacy magazine to media pioneer. We bring together the best thinking across journalism, business strategy, audience research, and product development to help clients share big ideas and adapt to a modern world.
One of Atlantic 57’s differentiators is our insights practice. We mine learnings from The Atlantic’s newsroom to develop strategic and tactical insights on how to tell powerful stories, engage audiences, and run effective content operations. These insights are critical to our business development strategy, brand building, and to client work.
Atlantic 57 is seeking an Insights Editor to lead the creation of A57 insights, from start to finish. This individual would unearth new insights, spearhead our insights publishing efforts, and lead the storytelling and presentation of insights to grow A57 brand awareness and drive sales. He or she would also build and maintain systems to share new insights with the entire Atlantic 57 team, making it easy for other team members to incorporate them into proposals, prospect pitches, and client deliverables. This individual will be part of the Marketing & Insights team and will report to the Senior Director of Brand and Marketing.
Job responsibilities focus on three key areas:
- Unearthing strategic and tactical insights through:
- Reoccuring conversations with editors and experts at The Atlantic—across its newsroom, audience development team, analytics team, and product team
- Seamless communication with Atlantic 57’s research, strategy, editorial, and product teams
- Analysis of trends across the modern media and communications landscape
- Insights Event Programming and Marketing Collateral
- Building Powerpoint decks and other sales collateral that showcase Atlantic 57’s insights and drive new business
- Creating insights-rich programming and scripts for Atlantic 57’s marketing events and speaking engagements, including presentations, panel discussions, 1:1 interviews, and more
- Translating insights and trends into an editorial calendar that drives A57’s marketing and business development efforts, in collaboration with the A57 business growth and marketing teams
- Managing Atlantic 57’s publishing efforts, including our Medium publication, newsletter, and social media platforms. This includes serving as the principal author of those channels, as well as sourcing and editing stories from the rest of the A57 team.
Insights Training and Collaboration
- Communicating closely with the rest of the A57 team, particularly sales and marketing, to keep our insights focused on the areas of greatest need and opportunity for our business.
- Setting up touchpoints and processes that keep the A57 team informed and excited about our new insights. This includes leading a weekly internal all-team meeting and identifies new opportunities to educate the team on new insights and to gather new learnings.
- Building tools and systems that make it easy for the team to pull insights into proposals and client work
Qualifications of the ideal candidate
- 4 to 7 years of experience in digital media, ideally covering developments and trends in the space
- A savvy marketing and business mind, and a demonstrated interest in supporting sales teams to drive new business
- Drive to uncover new insights from a variety of sources, both proprietary and public. Passion for the latest media and communications trends, and a voracious reader of sources such as The American Press Institute, Nieman Lab, Poynter, Digiday, AdAge, etc. and a careful follower of industry events and influencers
- Passion for, and particular professional focus on, telling compelling stories—written, verbal, and visual—and a demonstrated ability to create well-articulated and highly designed PowerPoint presentations and other sales collateral
- Ability to source stories and facts like a reporter, deliver high-quality journalism, and manage editorial calendars and publishing schedules
- Experienced with today’s most powerful distribution platforms including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Medium, and Instagram
- Experienced with digital media analytics data and platforms including Google Analytics, Omniture, Chartbeat, etc.
- Organized, with the ability to capture, store, and catalogue valuable information for easy reference by others
- Unfailingly demonstrates a spirit of entrepreneurialism, intellect, and generosity
Atlantic Media Values:
Across Atlantic Media, generally, the firm looks for two “pillar gifts” in you, and everyone else. In all of us, these are more aspirational than actual, but they are central in our intentions –
- Force of Ideas: At the center of Atlantic Media work are the ideas within our writing. We believe that ideas – to the good and not – have consequence. Our highest work is bringing rigor, insight, intellectual honesty, to that ultimate purpose of separating the bad from the good, and giving voice to the latter.
- Spirit of Generosity: Atlantic Media seeks in its ranks a spirit of generosity – a natural disposition in each colleague toward service and selfless conduct. Atlantic Media writing should be cut from the same cloth –critical on the merits but informed by charity and forbearance in measuring motive and personal character.
Atlantic Media is an EOE of Minorities/Women/Vets/Disability.