Quartz is Atlantic Media’s ambitious and fast-growing global business news brand. Our mission is to create high-quality global business journalism that thrives in the digital age.
We seek a Communications Associate to strengthen Quartz’s efforts to grow its presence in the marketplace. We want to reach more people, more frequently, and in more places.
What you’ll do:
- Monitor media coverage on a daily basis and report results to the wider team
- Coordinate award submissions across Quartz’s business and editorial teams, and create pitches and submission strategies that generate results
- Secure speaking opportunities at key industry events and coordinate follow-up needs
- Build targeted media lists for product launches, brand awareness campaigns, and broadcast TV and radio campaigns
- Respond to requests from journalists and triage them to internal clients
- Draft pitches and other forms of media correspondence that are valuable to journalists and effective tools for generating visibility opportunities for Quartz
- Support key spokespeople with briefings before events and interviews, as appropriate
- On an ongoing basis, find ways to evolve and improve your craft
What you’ll bring:
- A can-do attitude and a willingness to learn, support, and collaborate with a fast-moving team
- Curiosity and a constant yearning to better understand your profession as well as the global economy
- Courage and a high level of motivation that welcomes challenges and is not deterred by setbacks
- Strong listening and presentation skills
- Excellent writing skills: you treat every word with purpose
- An ability to plan comprehensively, work both independently and collaboratively, and manage and prioritize projects to satisfy competing deadlines
This hire will report to the Director of Communications for Quartz in NY and SVP of Communications for Atlantic Media and regularly collaborate with stakeholders across the company and Atlantic Media. This role is based in our New York office.
Across Atlantic Media, generally, the firm looks for two “pillar gifts” in its candidates. In all of us, these are more aspirational than actual, but they are central in our intentions.
1. Force of Intellect - Atlantic Media seeks a discipline and rigor of thought as manifested, often, in exceptional academic performance and, later, success in a professional environment.
2. Spirit of Generosity - Equally, Atlantic Media seeks what we term a spirit of generosity – a natural disposition towards service and selfless conduct.
Atlantic Media is an EOE of Minorities/Women/Vets/Disability.