CityLab, The Atlantic’s sister site devoted to the most pressing issues and innovative ideas shaping cities and neighborhoods, is looking for an entrepreneurial, and service-minded professional to join our team as an Events Manager. Through original reporting, sharp analysis, and visual storytelling, CityLab informs and inspires the people who are creating the cities of the future—and those who want to live there.
Key responsibilities will include contributing to the growth, development, and execution of a wide range of editorial events and programs. Our ideal candidate will have 4-6 years previous event management experience, preferably in a high-velocity, bottom-line focused industry.
You will be successful in this role if you excel at managing events that consistently meet budgetary goals, have experience developing event formats, and the entrepreneurship skills to help build an up-and-coming event business within successful media brand.
- Work with brand executives to conceive, plan and execute workshop-type events such charrettes, intimate dinners, and full-day workshops
- Serve as the event’s project manager, owning the logistics and overall management for all assigned events as well as the related day-to-day communications with clients, internal executives, and external partners
- Lead execution team development and on-site management for each event
- Develop and recruit program line-up and audiences with editorial and business executives to meet event specifications through detailed organizational research, overseeing of invitation deployment, and high-touch phone and email communication
- Meet or exceed budgetary goals through vendor contract negotiation and other creative cost efficacy measures
Characteristics of the Ideal Candidate Include:
- Meticulous attention to details and superior organizational skills
- Ability to manage complex and fast-changing program elements and prioritize effectively in response
- Creative and strategic thinking that contributes to intelligent and innovative event themes, formats and agendas
- Ability to forge strong relationships and evidence of excellent customer service with clients and strategic partners
- Effective negotiation skills and the ability to understand and negotiate contracts
- Entrepreneurial spirit, track record of initiative, and ownership of work
- Interest in city issues including transportation, technology, smart cities, and planning with knowledge of city leaders, academics and service providers within this space
- Highest proficiency with the office suites, most notably spreadsheets
- Bachelor’s degree and 5+ years of relevant experience
Atlantic Media Values:
Across Atlantic Media, generally, the firm looks for two “pillar gifts” in you, and everyone else. In all of us, these are more aspirational than actual, but they are central in our intentions –
- Force of Ideas: At the center of Atlantic Media work are the ideas within our writing. We believe that ideas – to the good and not – have consequence. Our highest work is bringing rigor, insight, intellectual honesty, to that ultimate purpose of separating the bad from the good, and giving voice to the latter.
- Spirit of Generosity: Atlantic Media seeks in its ranks a spirit of generosity – a natural disposition in each colleague toward service and selfless conduct. Atlantic Media writing should be cut from the same cloth –critical on the merits but informed by charity and forbearance in measuring motive and personal character.
Atlantic Media is an EOE of Minorities/Women/Vets/Disability.